A trip to Miskolc and its surroundings


55 minutes – recommended visit duration: 1.5 – 2 hours

The National Theatre of Miskolc is Hungary’s first permanent theater playing productions in Hungarian; it was built in the Late-Classical-Romanesque style in 1847-1857 next door to the first building of the Theater of Miskolc which had burned down in 1843. The Ottó Hermann Museum is an outstanding, beautifully renovated building of today’s Avas monument complex. The building has been a museum since 1899; its core was probably built in the 15th century. One of its permanent parts is the exhibition of Endre Szász ‘s legacy.
The Rákóczi House is a one-story Baroque building; together with the neighboring “Dark Gate” it is an emphatic and characteristic point of the tow’s main street, and until 1702 the only “highrise,” that is the only multi-story residential building in Miskolc. At the beginning of the 13th century the mansion served to accommodate Francis II Rákóczi on two occasions, hence its common moniker of today: Rákóczi House.
The Actors’ and Theatre History Museum provides essential information on the history of acting. The first permanent theater of Hungary was established in this city. On the side of the Avas Hill, known for its wine cellars, stands one of the most beautiful Gothic church halls, the Christian Reformed Church of Avas. The separate 16th century wooden bell tower plays a lovely melody every quarter of an hour. A panoramic view of the city can be seen from the Avas lookout tower. In good weather, not just the Zemplén Mountains but the Low Tatras are also visisble.
The Minorits church and monastery is a precious memento of 18th century Baroque architecture, and the LutheranAll Saints’ Church with a statue of Mary carved from wood standing in front of it.


15 minutes – recommended visit duration: 1 – 1.5 hours

About 8 kilometers from Miskolc’s city center at the foot of Bükk Mountain the Diósgyőr Castle, which enjoys a prominent place in Hungary monuments, is situated in beautiful natural surroundings. King Louis the Great attached a large portion of land to the castle in 1364, which he subsequently developed into a magnificent Gothic royal castle. Today, the spacious inner courtyard of the Diósgyőr Castle serves as a venue for cultural events, concerts, theatrical performances, while spectacular exhibits await visitors in the Rondella, in the catacombs and in the towers.


10 minutes – recommended visit duration: 1.5 – 2 hours + lunch

The Palotaszálló (Palace Hotel) built in the Neo-Renaissance style in 1925 is the symbol of Lillafüred. One of the restaurants of the hotel has recently been converted to a Renaissance restaurant named Matthias Restaurant, whose stained glass windows depict the castles of historic Hungary. A huge park with botanical rarities stretches from the buildings to the Szinva Springs.
The Palace Hotel is located on top of a steep slope, and to reinforce it a Hanging Garden with a terraced promenade system with supporting walls has been built. The Anna tufa Cave and several small stone cabins, and the statues of Attila József and one commemorating Archduke Stephen’s visit stand here, while the longest (20-meter) waterfall of our country can beautifully be seen from here. The hanging garden is border on either side by the Szinva and the Garadna, and a hotel is siuated on top, whereare from the bottom, through a stone bridge, we can walk to the village of Felsőhámor.
The State Forest Railway of Lillafüred, which was also built in the 1920’s, travels from Miskolc to Garadna.
The Lillafüred Study Trail starting at the Anna Cave is recommended for hikers, as well as the István Cave and theSzeleta Cave, the Hamor Lake in the Garadna Valley, the legendary Molnár Rock, the Fehérkőlápa and the Hámori Rock.

Recommended restaurant: PALOTASZÁLLÓ

Back to Hernádvécse

1 hour 15 minutes

Total trip time: 2 hours 35 minutes
Recommended total visit duration: cca. 4 – 5.5 hours
Recommended program plan: Departure after breakfast, lunch in Lillafüred and arrival back to the hotel early evening.