fbpx
HERNÁDVÉCSE – UNGVÁR – MUNKÁCS – HERNÁDVÉCSE

Who is interested in Sub-Carpathia?!

UNGVÁR 

2 hours 10 minutes – recommended duration of visit: 2 to 3 hours + lunch

The Ungvár castle or Drugeth-castle, Ungvár’s notable sight, is one of the most famous historical monuments of Sub-Carpathia. The earliest written reference to it is found in Gesta Hungarorum. It’s situated in the heart of Ungvár on the Castle-Hill of volcanic origin. It consists of an inner castle, which has been transformed into a castle-palace, and the park surrounding it, which are ringed by a protective wall reinforced by three rhomboid bastions and a triangular bastion. Today the Sub-Carpathian Local Historical Museum and Art-Gallery as well as transitory exhibitions are located in the castle-palace. In the local historical museum we can find the most valuable relics of Sub-Carpathia’s historical past from the stone age to modern days. Among the paintings in the Boksay József Sub-Carpathian County Museum of Fine Art are the works of Mihály Munkácsy, Imre Révész, Vilmos Aba-Novák, László Mednyánszky, Gyula Rudnay, Béla Erdélyi (the founder of the Sub-Carpathian school of painting), József Boksay and a number of other Sub-Carpathian Hungarian artists.
Further sights of Ungvár and its vicinity are the Roman Catholic church, Petőfi square with a statue of Sándor Petőfi, the Gyöngyösi Palace, the Open Air Ethnography Museum which includes the Hungarian pheasant estate from Visk, the Nevicke castle ruin. In Szerednye, the Szerednye castle ruin, which used to be the property of the Dobó family, the city’s notable sight is the five kilometer long wine-cellar labyrinth built by István Dobó. The Gerény round church from the beginning of the 13th century, with frescos of that age and in Szalóka a reformist church with a painted boarded ceiling.

MUNKÁCS 

40 minutes – recommended duration of visit: 2 hours

The Munkács Castle is the most remarkable, most beautiful historic monument of Sub-Carpathia, which played an important role in Hungarian history. Munkács was built in the valley of Latorca, next to the road coming from the Verecke pass. Its castle, which was probably built after 1263 was first mentioned in 1311. It retained its military significance until the middle of the 19th century. On the Lorántffy bastion of the citadel is the statue of Ilona Zrínyi and the young Ferenc Rákóczi II. Its further peculiarities are the renaissance Rákóczi-Palace (White-house) with the relief image of Ferenc Rákóczi II., the gothic Saint Michael church, the City Hall built in a secessionist style, the bust of Mihály Munkácsi, near his house of birth and the Gyula Illyés Hungarian Theatre of Beregszász.

Back to Hernádvécse

2 hours 40 minutes

Total travel time: 5 hours 20 minutes
Total recommended duration of visits: approximately 4 to 5 hours
Recommended program plan: Start out early, after breakfast, lunch in Ungvár, arrival back to the hotel in the late evening hours.